Friday, January 14, 2011

Drapes of Wrath?

Coming home from school today, I decided on an impromptu photo shoot to snap some quick pics of my relatively simple outfit. I got this pretty purple tank top at Gap the day after Christmas. It was on sale for about $8 with an extra 40% off. It's actually meant to be worn as a shirt, but I purchased it in XL to wear as a tunic. I layered it over a plain, black sheath dress and under a faux leather motorcycle jacket.
Although I'm quite aware of the generally unflattering box shape of motorcycle jackets, I'm alright with it. 
This simplicity doesn't require much explanation, but I'll share my thoughts anyway. I've been loving romantic, flowy, and overly-girly pieces, but feel that the sweetness can be overwhelming if not balanced out. This is especially true in winter months as clothing should feel more solid and substantial. Outfits can be made to look feminine in many ways such as lace, pastel colors, draping, or sheer, flowy fabrics. Here I chose to pair my chiffon draped top with my motorcycle jacket. This outfit also felt winter-appropriate because of the dark, saturated colors. My camera may not accurately show the bold jewel tone of the tunic, which I chose to offset with an otherwise monochromatically black ensemble.

Also, I apologize for the shoeless-ness. After coming home, I threw them off as quickly as possible so I could throw myself on the couch. Once I am used to posting and can figure out a more effective way of taking my pictures, I will be sure to improve my postings and hopefully my outfits as well.

Thanks for reading and be sure to return to see what's to come,
April Lily

And on a side note, thank you so much Herman for becoming my first follower and for all the support!

1 comment :

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...