Saturday, March 3, 2012

2012.03.02 - daisies

Yes, this is long overdue. I haven't photographed my outfits in a while because I've been staying out after school most days and when I get home, either my outfit isn't in its best shape anymore or I'm too tired to snap pictures. But, enough with the excuses! Here's my outfit from yesterday.

outfit black leather motocycle jacket cream daisy dress grey thigh high socks brown belt

outfit cream gold lace tulle daisy dress grey thigh high socks brown belt brunette girl

cream dress gold daisy tulle lace

forever21 earrings pink rose jewels pearl gold

daisy dress - my closet from when I was little
black faux leather moto jacket - Burlington Coat Factory
brown leather belt - mom's closet
grey thigh highs - Forever21
rose&pearl earrings - Forever21
black oxfords (not pictured) - Ross
cream lace romper (worn as lining) - AlleyKat

Sorry for the poor photo quality in the overall outfit pictures. I used my phone, whose camera is supposed to be pretty good, but I don't think it had the ability to compensate for the bad lighting.

This dress is actually from a super long time ago. I don't mean that it's from a few seasons back; it's from when I was a little girl. It's one of those somewhat fancy, frilly dresses with layers of tulle poofing out the skirt. It had been in the back of my closet for maybe a decade (!) and I tried it on one day just to see if it fit. I actually liked the way it looked, so I decided to try to modernize it and make it wearable for someone my age.

I believe the waistline was supposed to be around the hips, but now it fits nicely around my natural waist. There was a white, satin bow in the center at the waist, but I cut it off and might use it for something else. The skirt part of the dress had a strange, stiff lining that I also cut out. The remaining skirt is only the outermost layer, which is a fine tulle with daisies. The centers of the daisies are metallic gold. I like the bit of shine that they add to the dress. I shortened the daisy layer a bit, to make it about mid-thigh length. Now you may have realized that the bottom layer of this dress is just a thin layer of tulle. It has no lining anymore, so I had to figure out something to wear under it. The top of the dress is also pretty sheer, so I thought about wearing a white dress underneath it, to act as a lining for the top and bottom. When I walked to my closet to try my white dresses, I saw my cream, lace romper. I hadn't worn it yet, even though I bought it quite a while ago. It was the perfect length and the strapless top acted as the perfect lining for the top of the dress. This was a good alternative because I had been looking for ways to wear this romper as it is also a bit sheer.

This dress feels really summery and because it was so girly, I decided to balance it out with my motorcycle jacket. I also covered the divide between the top and skirt with a brown, leather belt. It has gold hardware, which matched the daisies. In the morning, it was fairly warm, so I wanted to go without tights. I wore my thigh-highs instead, but this was a bit of a mistake as it kept getting colder and colder throughout the day. My shoes were my plain, black oxfords.

The girly feeling of this dress inspired me to wear my new earrings. They can be found in my last haul, which is here: http://lilyinlace.blogspot.com/2012/02/haul-thrift-forever21-nordstromrack.html. I kept my jewelry minimal because of the gold on the skirt and belt. I tend to skip necklaces when I wear belts around my natural waist.

I hope you enjoyed this outfit. Thanks for checking out my blog and check back for more (and more frequent) posts!
AprilLily

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...