Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Nail Art - Galaxy

So instead of another outfit today, I have a quick nail art post. I love galaxy prints and had seen this tutorial from cutepolish (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EMgt4_jW5U&ob=av3e) on youtube a while ago. I was waiting for my nails to grow out a bit more to try it. I modified the colors a bit to fit my taste more, but the basic idea is the same.

galaxy nail art design sponge white black
black polish with white sponged on

galaxy nail art design sponge white black pink yellow
yellow and pink sponged on top of the white

galaxy nail art design sponge white black pink yellow purple blue
purple and blue sponged and white spots added

galaxy nail art design sponge white black pink yellow purple blue glitter
glitter polish added

galaxy nail art design sponge white black pink yellow purple blue glitter polish
final result with top coat

polishes in order of used:

Double Duty Strengthening Base & Top Coat - Sally Hansen
Black Creme - Wet'n'Wild Wild Shine
French White Creme - Wet'n'Wild Wild Shine
Auriga - Sinful Colors
pale pink (no name) - Amera
Wing it Wine Creme - NYC
Blue Moon - Wet'n'Wild Wild Shine
Kaleidoscope - Wet'n'Wild Wild Shine
Clear - Revlon

If I were to do this again, I would probably make the nebulae more defined. I would add more of the blue polish to add more cool tones. The dominant feel was warm because of the yellow and  pink.

I was really happy with the way they came out and they were surprisingly easy. They were very quick to do; if I had been working constantly (I worked throughout an afternoon while doing other things) it probably would have only taken 30 minutes or less.

It's also a nice design because it doesn't require many layers. Most of my nail designs end up having so many layers that they want to chip very quickly. I only used one medium layer of black for the base because the Wet'n'Wild black is super opaque. My nails are still in perfect condition after about five days, but I am going to add another layer of top coat to keep them nice longer.

On another note, the Base & Top Coat from Sally Hansen is an amazing base coat, but is pretty weak as a top coat. It is not glossy at all and doesn't seem to offer much protection on top. I like for my top coats to be really shiny and leave a smooth, glass-like surface. I love using Revlon's clear polish for a top coat. Revlon has great quality polishes that always seem to have the perfect finish.

If you have any questions on how to do this tutorial that aren't answered here or in cutepolish's video, leave a comment below! Thanks for checking out my post and follow for more nail art posts.
AprilLily

1 comment :

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...